I can never forget my lunch hours in India. We all use to gather in a room around 1:30 in the afternoon, eager to see what special has the other person got for lunch. Though a few use to be happy eating fruits, for some of us, lunch time was the time to taste each others food and discuss about it. One of my colleagues and I were the ones always exchanging recipes and ideas.
A working mother, she had to make things that were both quick and yet tasty. This rice preparation was one of her all time favorites. And she knew that each time she made it, she had to get extra for me.
It was just a few days back that I made it myself. It bought back a lot of found memories.
So I thought it to be a good idea to put it up on my blog.
rice- 1/2 cup
peanuts- 1/4 th cup
curry leaves- a few
mustard seeds-1/2 tsp
red powder- 1/4th teaspoon
oil- 2 tsp
salt- to taste
tamarind extract- 1 tsp
- steam rice and keep aside. this can also be done with any left over rice.
- in a wok heat oil.
- add the mustard seeds. let them splutter. to this add the curry leaves, the peanuts , salt, and the red chili powder. saute well.
- to this add the cooked rice. mix everything well. mix for a few minutes.
- turn off the heat. let stand.
- now add the tamarind extract.
- mix well. taste for seasoning.
- serve hot with any dal or sambhar.