2-3 cups Ghiradelli semisweet chocolate chips.
1 cup sugar
- Follow the directions on the package and bake the cake. This can be done a day before.
- Cut it into 2-3 layers.
- Make the coffee liquor by soaking any coffee in 1 cup of water and heating it till the coffee dissolves. cool it.
- Spoon the liquor over the layer of cakes. soaking each layer well. This gives a real good taste with the filling.
- Melt the chocolate either on a double broiler or in the microwave till the chips are melted.
- Add the cream to this and whip till peaks form. Refrigerate.
- Break the nuts into small pieces.
- Heat the sugar in a dry saucepan till only melted. Be careful, once it melts and begins to caramelize it hardens up very fast.
- Add the chopped nuts and mix it all up. Pour it out on a parchment paper and let it cool.
- Melt the chocolate. Line a cookie tray with parchment paper.
- Once the chocolate is completely melted pour it out onto the parchment and spread it in a layer. Let it cool.
- Once it begins to harden, cut out a big round for the plaque with a cookie cutter. The stars or any other shape can be cut using a cookie cutter. If you do not have a cookie cutter, simply cut out long stripes with a knife.
- Leave to cool completely.You can even put it in the refrigerator.
- Do not remove it from the sheet. Only give it its shape.
For the topping:
- Whip the cream with vanilla essence and sugar,till it forms peaks.
- Place the bottom layer of the coffee liquor soaked cake.
- Spread the filling in between.
- Repeat with all the layers.
- Know spread the whipping cream around.
- Make sure you cover all the sides of the cake with a thick layer of the cream.
- Now break the praline up and stick it all around the sides of the cake. You don't have to be particular about breaking it into small pieces. A little big pieces add to the texture.
8. With the icing writing pen, write down whatever message you want. I wrote Happy Birthday. Decorate with stars, or whatever shapes you have made.
9. Once completely cooled and firm, the chocolate stars and the plaque will come off the parchment really quick.
10. I then piped out some of the filling around the rim of the cake.
I made two cakes as there were thirty people comign for the party.