With a three month old, there is no such thing as a routine. But its a boon to have my mother around, giving me the much needed break. The break is usually utilized by hitting the bed and getting a power nap. But I see things getting a little more manageable now. The fact that I actually got time to bake a cake for my husband's birthday and take a few pictures, actually says a lot.
Usually I would have done dinner and called friends over, but this time it was only cake cutting post dinner. Nothing fancy just a simple sponge cake with pineapple and whipped cream icing.
So here goes the recipe
For the sponge cake you will need:
All purpose flour: 1 cup
Sugar: 2/3rd cup
Butter: 2 tbsp
Vanilla essence: 1tsp
* this is good for an 8x8 sponge, we would need two cakes like this.
For the icing:
Tinned pineapple (in pineapple juice) : 2 tins
Pineapple jam or preserve: 1/2 cup
Heavy whipping cream: 2 cups
Sugar: 2-3 tbsp
Dry coconut: 1 cup
For the sponge cake
- Grease an 8x8 cake tin, and preheat oven to 350 degree.
- Beat the eggs and the sugar over a warm water bath, till it reaches the ribbon stage. This means, that when you lift up the beater, the batter falls down like a ribbon.
- Add the vanilla essence.
- Slowly fold in the flour one tablespoon at a time. Make sure you DO NOT add the flour all at once, as this will make the sponge flat and result in a hard cake. Fold with a gentle hand.
- To this add the melted butter, and pour it into the prepared tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 mins, or till a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Let it cool.
- Cut horizontally right through the middle.
- Make two cakes like this, if you want a four layered cake.
For the icing.
- Beat the heavy whipping cream with the sugar, till firm. Do not over beat or the cream will turn into butter.
- Reserve the pineapple juice from the tin. Chop up 8-9 rings of pineapple, and keep 4-6 rings for decoration.
- Now place one layer of cake on a cake stand or any other plate your going to present the cake.
- drizzle a few tablespoon of the pineapple juice on the cake,to moisten it.
- Spread a little of the pineapple jam or preserve, add some chopped pineapple and spread a generous helping of the whipped cream. Add the other layer of cake on top, and repeat.
- Repeat till you use up all the four layers of cake.
- Now on the top most layer, add the whipped cream, and spread it all over with the help of a flat spatula or a butter knife. Cover the sides too. Dont worry if it looks untidy, here is where the grated coconut is going to come to use. Take the coconut and stick it onto the sides of the cake.
- Decorate the cake on top with the pineapple rings.
- I had some cherries so added that for the decoration.
Done, now all you have to do is run the knife through and serve a slice on the plate.
Must tell you , a pretty easy cake that tasted really yummy. I must tell you though that the cake tasted much better the next day. So my suggestion make the cake a day before and let it be in the refrigerator overnight, trust me the cold pineapple along with the whipped cream and the moistened sponge cake...........simply delicious.
Hope you guys like this recipe. Feels nice to be back. Hope to hear feed backs.