Going to Costco (a huge wholesale market, here in the US), and picking up food items, means one has to get use to seeing those items in fridge or on the shelves for quite sometim before they actually get over.The last time we went to Costco, my husband picked up a two pack seven cheese tortellini pasta. Though I froze it the same day, thinking of different ways to make it is pretty challenging.The last time I made some minestrone soup. Again last night for dinner I ended up making soup, but quite a different one, with some blue cheese (as that was in my fridge too, and I had to use it up!!!!).
It turned out to be pretty hearty and wholesome.Made some garlic bread with five cheese assiago bread I had picked up from the farmers market.
Right on time, I thought, to send it to dk of culinary bazzar for the event, A.W.E.D Italliano.
You will need
- tortellini pasta (or any other pasta)- 1 cup
- blue cheese- 1/ cup
- all purpose flour- 2 tbsp
- butter- 2 tbsp
- carrot-1 (cubed)
- beans- 4-5 (chopped)
- peas and corn- around a cup
- vegetable soup broth- 2-3 cups
- dried basil-1/2 tsp
- oregano-1/2 tsp
- red chilly flakes- 1/4th tsp
- salt and pepper- to taste
- cream- 1/2 cup
You have to
- boil the vegetables.
- boil the pasta. reserve the water, do not throw it.
- in a pan, melt butter and add the flour to it. cook for 5- 10 mins, till the flour begins to cook.
- add the pasta water slowly mixing it. make sure no lumps are formed.
- add the boiled vegetables along with all the seasoning
- add enough vegetable stock and let it cook on low.
- now add the blue cheese,mix.
- add the cream and taste for seasoning. adjust if required. add the pasta and mix everything nicely.
- let the soup come to a boil and let it thicken a bit.
- empty out in bowl and serve with garlic bread.
this soup tends to thicken as the pasta keeps absorbing the soup. so you might want to add the pasta only a few minutes before serving.
for the garlic breadYou will need
- butter- 1/2 cup
- minced garlic- 1 tbsp
- cilantro (chopped)- 1 tbsp
- Parmesan cheese- 1/2 cup
- salt and pepper
- bread- 3-5 slices.
- mix all the ingredients except the bread.
- heat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. spread mixture on top of bread, and bake in the oven till crispy.
- try to use some nice bread like french baguette, etc. it tastes really good
Now for a thank you note to sangeeth of art of cooking and srimathi of few minute wonders to pass on these awards to me. It means a lot to know that people are reading and liking what I write. its truly encouraging.
renuka of fusion
shilpa of ayis's recipes
jai bee of jugalbandi
sowmya of creative saga
and a happy independence day to all.