I got a request for the dishes posted in my Monday and Tuesday menus. Since I had not planned to put them up before, hence no pictures.
- Bengal gram or chana dal- 1/2 cup
- Bottle gourd or ghiya- 1 medium size
- Ginger and chilly paste- 1 tbsp
- Tomato puree- 1/2 cup
- Salt to taste
- Red chili powder- 1/2 tsp
- Coriander and cumin powder- 1/2 tsp
- Garam masala powder- 1/4Th tsp
- Turmeric powder- 1/4Th tsp
- Oil- 1/2 tbsp
- Soak chana dal in warm water for 15- 20 mins.
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker.
- Saute the ginger and green chilly paste.
- Add the soaked chana dal.
- Cube the bottle gourds.add the cubed bottle gourd to the chana dal.
- Add all the spices.
- Add enough water, and pressure cook for 2- 3 whistles.
- Turn off heat and let it cool off.
- Open the lid, turn on the heat, and add water, and the tomato puree.
- Mix everything well. check for seasoning of the dal.
- Pressure cook for one more whistle if the lentils are slightly uncooked.
- Dish out and garnish with coriander.
- Serve with rice, roti, or puri.
The next recipe,is actually a twist on the regular "aloo baigan" (eggplant and potato). I used the baby eggplants for this. And I did take a picture.....but only in its raw form and not of the finished dish.......I wonder why though??? hummmm....well never mind. Here is the recipe.
You will need
- Potato- 3-4
- baby eggplants- 5-6
- sliced onions- 1
- tandoori masala- 1 tsp
- amchoor powder- 1/2 tsp
- red chilly powder- 1/2 tsp
- garam masala- 1/2 tsp
- roasted cumin powder- 1/4tsp
- salt-to taste
- oil- around 2 tbsp.
- slice the potatoes into wedges.
- slit the eggplant form the middle into four. do not cut it up fully.
- in a bowl, combine all the spices, and mix it up with the potatoes and eggplant.
- let it stand for at least 1/2 and hour.
- heat oil in a pan. add the oil.
- saute the sliced onions.
- add the eggplant and the potatoes along with the spices. you might have to add little water to get the spices together.
- cover and cook on low, till done.
- uncover and mix everything up.
- check if the potatoes and eggplant are done.
- garnish with coriander and lemon wedges.
I thought later on, that one could even fry the potatoes and then add them
hope all those who try it, like it.
have a great weekend.