There is nothing like a moist, creamy, chilled fruit cake. I had made this one for my husbands birthday. Though it did take a lot of time and effort, but you know, after all it was for his birthday. This cake looks so colourful, specially with all the fruits on a snow white creamy icing. I added praline to the sides of it, which gave it that little sweet crunch.
I made the sponge cake at home, but i realised that one could make it with store bought angel food cake too.
Here is the recipe
You will need:
8 inch round sponge cake (recipe below)- 2 cakes, cut horizontally into four layers. (or one full angle food cake, cut horizontally)
Fruit cocktail- 1 tin. (keep the syrup)
Chopped strawberry- 1/2 cup + a few slices to decorate
Chopped kiwi- 1/2 cup + a few slices to decorate
Heavy whipping cream-3 cups
Sugar- 1/4th cup
Praline (recipe below)- 1 cup.
You have to
- Whip the cream with sugar, till it forms peaks.
- Place a layer of the cake on a serving plate.
- Soak it with a tsp of the fruit cocktail syrup, that you kept aside.
- Add a tbsp of the fruit cocktail, some strawberry and some kiwis.
- Spread some whipped cream.
- Place the other layer on top, and repeat the process.
- After placing all the four layers, cover the entire cake with the whipped cream.
- Crush the praline, and stick it on the sides of the cake.
- Decorate with strawberry slices and kiwi slices.
- Add a few pieces of praline.
- Chill overnight (preferably).
For the cakeYOU WILL NEED
all purpose flour-1,1/2 cup
sugar- generous 1/2 cup
baking powder- 1/4th tsp
vanilla essence- 1/2 tsp
YOU HAVE TO:
- Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit.
- Grease an 8 inch cake tin.
- Separate the egg yolks and the egg whites.
- Sieve the flour and the baking powder.
- Cream the egg yolks and the sugar, over hot water, till the mixture turns a pale yellow.
- Beat the egg whites till it stands in peaks.
- Slowly add the egg whites to the egg yolk and sugar mixture.
- Fold in the flour.Add the vanilla essence
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes, or till a skewer inserted comes out clean.
- Leave in tin for 5 mins, cool.
For the praline
YOU WILL NEED
Mixed nuts-1 cup (cashews, pecans, hazelnuts)
Sugar- 1/2 cup
Water- 1 cup
YOU HAVE TO:
- Dissolve the sugar and water. Heat.
- Once the sugar solutions begins to brown, add the chopped nuts.
- Grease a plate.
- As the sugar begins to caramelize, and the mixture started to stick.
- Empty it out on the grease plate, and spread it.Let it cool.
- Break into pieces, or crush with a rolling pin.