I simply love the warm aroma of freshly baked bread. I remember as kids, back in Kolkatta (India) every morning as we walked to school, a few of the bakeries there would be baking fresh bread. And on Sundays, dad use to get fresh bread from the bakeries, still warm. We watched as mom spread butter on it, and it slowly melted right into the bread. simply delicious.
I guess my taste for bread developed right there. I love bread, all types. So when it came to my internship in my college, (I had specialised in food and nutrition), I opted for an internship in the bakery of a five star hotel. Though one month was not enough, however I managed to pick up as much as I could.
It was only yesterday, after a long time I thought of finding out, whether I still remember any of it. So I decided to bake some fresh bread at home.
Looked around for a few recipes, and found two. Made a few changes and baked this warm, whole wheat sesame bread. here is the recipe
You will need
1/2 tbsp active dry yeast
1 cup warm milk
1/2 tbsp sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 cup whole wheat flour
1, 3/4 cup all purpose flour
1/4Th cup butter, melted
3 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp sesame seeds
You have to:
- Mix the flours and the salt together. keep aside.
- in a bowl, take the warm milk, add sugar, yeast and around 1/2 cup of the flour. keep aside for 20 mins. till the mixture ferments and rises up.
- now make a hole in the center of the rest of the flour. add the melted butter.
- slowly add the fermented mixture little by little. mixing it with the rest of the flour.
- knead into a soft dough.
- here the dough can get sticky. take little olive oil in your hands and knead the dough. make sure the dough is soft and not very dry.
- cover and keep in a warm place for at least 1- 1,1/2 hours.
- take little olive oil in your hands, and punch the dough down. take it out on a floured surface.
- knead the dough, pressing it with your palms. stretch it, and fold it. knead till smooth. You will need to keep adding flour to the surface for kneading.
- grease a loaf pan. shape the dough into a loaf.
- place it in the loaf pan, and leave to proof. this will take another half an hour.
- brush the top with little milk. sprinkle the sesame seeds.
- the loaf should be double in size. bake in a preheated oven at 350 degree Fahrenheit for 30-35 minutes or till golden brown.
- cool on wire rack. slice.
It tasted really good toasted. I have wrapped it in foil and kept it. Lets see its shelf life.