Its actually difficult to keep a track of all the events going around the blog world. I just missed the deadline for one. Probably we need to think of an innovative way to get reminders, you know how we get email reminders for our due dates for credit card payments.....(please let me know if something like this already exists!!!).
well, that was just a random thought. lets get back to what I do best and that is talk food. The other day I went to our local farmers market (its called Henry's) and went berserk over berries. picked up black berries, strawberries raspberries. they were all looking so good and fresh.
its only when I got back home that I realised that I needed to use them fast, or they were all going to get spoilt. thanks to the guests I had over the weekend, I got a chance to prepare something, well, berrilicious (is that a word!!!! or I just made it up!!!!!)
Sometime back I had purchased these beautiful, Irish coffee mugs from bed bath and I so wanted to use them, so I thought what better time. I knew I had to use the berries, and the cup.....hahaha!!!!! So I thought of making a parfait. cool, refreshing and summery.
I would like to send this to the WBB-Summer Feast, hosted by Sia of Monsoon Spice.
Here is the recipe
You will need
- custard powder (I used brown and polson)- 1/2 cup
- milk- 1 cup
- light cream cheese- 1/2 cup
- sugar- to taste
- mixed berries (chopped)- 1- 2 cups
- granola cereal- 1-2 cup.
- nuts (almonds, walnuts)- 1/2 cup
You have to
- bring the cream cheese to room temperature.
- warm the milk. I did this in the microwave.
- in a small bowl, take little warm milk and dissolve the custard. mix this to the rest of the milk.
- bring it to a boil, stirring occasionally. add sugar. the custard should be thick. add some more custard powder, if its not thick. cool completely.
- add the cream cheese to the custard mixture and beat well.
- take a tall glass. start with the granola layer.
- then add the berries. top it with the custard mixture.
- add the nuts, and repeat the layers.
- repeat till you reach the top of the glass.
serve it up. a great brunch recipe, you got your cereal, your fruits and your dairy......enjoy.