Soups are my favourite addition to winter menus,specially around this time of the year. There is nothing more comforting than a bowl of nice steaming hot soup on a cold winter day. That is not how my husband feels about soups. He is not a big fan of soups in general. He loves creamy cheesy soups. But I like soups, all types.
This recipe was made cause I had to finish up the veggies that were sitting in my refrigerator and I was craving something hot and spicy. Though my husband did not like it much (which I knew he won't, as it had no cheese or cream!!!),I enjoyed it.
Its a perfect low calorie soup, that can be made in a huge batch and frozen in smaller containers for future hunger pangs. It has it all, the carbs from the veggies, fiber, mineral and the protein from the egg.
enough intro, here goes the soupYou will need
- olive oil-1 tbsp
- onions (chopped)- 1/2 c
- celery (chopped)- 1/4th cup
- mushrooms (chopped)- 2-3
- carrot (chopped)-1
- beans (chopped)- 3-4
- spinach (chopped)- 1 cup
- corn-1/2 cup
- cherry tomatoes- 4-5
- garlic (crushed)- 2 pods
- vegetable broth/water-2- 3 cups
- oregano-1 tsp
- red chilly flakes- 1/2 tsp
- tomato sauce- 1 tbsp
- sugar-1/2 tbsp
- eggs (lightly beaten)-2
- salt and pepper to taste.
You have to
- heat a pan, add the oil.
- now add the crushed garlic pods along with the onions. saute.
- add the celery. now add all the vegetables one by one.
- add salt, cover and cook. this will soften the vegetable
- add the vegetable broth, along with the herbs
- let everything come to a boil.add the tomato sauce.
- reduce heat and let it simmer for a while.
- adjust the seasoning.
- take the beatn egg and drop it into the soup, by keeping the bowl far away from the pan, so that the egg falls in a long stream.
- meanwhile using your other hand keep stirring the falling egg, this will give us the "egg drop" property of long white threads in the soup. heat well.
- serve with bread rolls, sandwich or pasta
check out some more soups
VEGETABLE SWEET CORN SOUP
TORTELLINI PASTA SOUP WITH BLUE CHEESE