I made this for Sunday brunch a couple of weeks back. Usually my husband and I get up late on Saturday's, and Sunday's, so its usually brunch, that we eat. I somehow feel lazy to cook on weekends. I guess the whole idea that its the weekend, makes me want to just laze around.
there was fresh french bread that I had bought the day before, and that needed to be used up, before it got stale. and just the craving of having something nice and warm, drove me to the kitchen.
here is the recipe.
You will need
- bread (any kind, I used french bread baguette)- 3-4 slices
- mayonnaise- 1 cup
- tinned corn- 1/2 a tin or around 1 cup
- grated mozzarella cheese
- green chillies or jalapenos pepper (finely chopped)- 1/2 tsp
- onion (finely chopped)- 1 tbsp
- tomato sauce- 1-2 tsp
- coriander- 1 tbsp
- salt- to taste
- all purpose Italian seasoning(optional)- 1/4th tsp
- white sauce- 1 cup (recipe below)
for the white sauce
- all purpose flour or maida- 2 tbsp
- butter- 2 tbsp
- milk- 1/2 to 1 cup.
- oregano- a pinch
- salt- to taste
You have to
- heat the butter in a pan.
- add the flour and saute for 5- 10 mins.
- beating with one hand, keep adding the milk little by little, mixing all the time, so that no lumps are formed.
- keep stirring and cooking, till the mixture begins to thicken. add salt and pepper.
- cook on low heat, stirring, till the sauce thickens up.add the oregano. turn off the heat.
- heat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit.
- in a bowl, add the mayo, the corn, the onions, jalapenos, coriander, tomato sauce along with the seasonings. mix well.
- add all this to the white sauce.
- check for seasoning.
- top each bread with the corn mixture. sprinkle shredded mozzarella. and bake till cheese melts, and the bread begins to brown.
- serve hot