How I miss it so much.........I have never had kolkatta style kathi rolls anywhere even in India. I just don't know what it is. Maybe I grew up eating them and that makes me bi oust. But seriously for those in India, if ever you"ll happen to be in kolkatta, trying out the rolls are a must. its like going to New York and not visiting the Statue of liberty.
Coming back here, on our recent trip to the east coast I got a taste of these rolls at a small khati roll place on MC dougal street. It was really good. I would not say exactly like the ones you get in kolkatta (I am bioust.......) but pretty good. because I love rolls so much I often try making them at home. These ones I had made sometime back and I don't know why I did not post them up. Maybe I was destined to post them after eating in New York.....does that make sense??? whatever. Here is the recipe.
You will need
- paneer masala (recipe below)- 2 cups
- uncooked tortillas- 2
- oil- 2-3 tbsp
- green chutney- 2 tbsp
- tomato sauce- 1 tbsp
- onion (sliced)- 1 cup
- lemon juice- 1 tbsp
- paneer (sliced)- 1 cup
- green bell peppers (sliced)- 1 cup
- salt - to taste
- tandoori masala- 1 tsp
- garam masala- 1/2 tsp
- chat masala- 1/2 tsp
- heat oil in a pan. add the sliced bell peppers. saute till soft.
- add the paneer pieces. add all the masala. cover and cook for five mins.
- mix everything up. and cook uncovered for another few minutes.
- once the paneer and bell peppers are coated with the masala (spices) and the oil begins to separate, turn off the heat.
- keep aside.
For the roll
- heat a tawa (griddle).
- cook the uncooked tortillas on both the side,using little oil. if using cooked tortillas heat it up nicely. keep aside.
- add little oil to the tawa. beat the eggs with salt.
- pour around half cup of the beaten egg onto the griddle.
- place the tortilla on top of the egg.
6. let the egg cook. now flip the egg over. the tortilla will be at the bottom. cook for a few minutes.
7. place this tortilla on a plate.
8. spoon some green chutney, some tomato sauce on top.
9. add a few sliced onions, and add the paneer masala mixture on top.
10. pour 1/4Th tsp of the lemon juice.
11. roll it up and enjoy.......
note: this can be made with leftover chicken tikka, tandoori chicken, or paneer tikka, paneer bhurji.
We even sometimes add chopped green chillies and cilantro while beating the eggs.
You can make the parantha at home, but I find this a little easier.
RECIPE MARATHON DAY 5, the race has just begun.
1) DK 2) Siri 3) Srivalli 4) Ranji 5)PJ 6)Curry Leaf 7)Medha 8)Priya 9)Bhawna 10)Raaji 11)Ruchii 12)Anu 13)Kamala 14)Roopa 15)Divya Kudua 16)Rekha 17)Divya M 18)Lakshmi 19)Raaga 20)Lakshmi Venkatesh 21)Sripriya 22)Viji 23)Pavani